5 Tips to Make Your Dental Hygiene Routine Better

It is commonly understood that brushing teeth twice daily and flossing once daily is a good baseline for oral hygiene. However, relying on these two methods alone may not be enough to keep your teeth in optimal condition. This blog post will provide five additional tips to help improve your dental hygiene routine and keep your teeth healthy between professional cleanings.

1. Make Use Of An Electric Toothbrush

An electric toothbrush is an excellent option if you’re looking for a toothbrush that will clean your teeth. These toothbrushes can be more effective than traditional toothbrushes, as long as you use them correctly. Just guide the brush through the quadrants of your mouth and let the vibrations do the work. This can be especially helpful if you have a lot of plaque or calcium buildup in your mouth. Many electric toothbrushes also have a built-in timer to help you keep track of how long you’ve been brushing.

When brushing your teeth, it’s important not to go too hard – otherwise, you could damage your gums. Be careful when using an electric or traditional toothbrush, and always angle the brush at a 45-degree angle towards the gum line. Gently push the brush against your teeth to avoid damaging the enamel or gums.

2. Double Check Your Flossing Technique

You must floss at least once per day to maintain optimal oral health. Most people only brush their teeth, but this only cleans 60% of your teeth’s surfaces. The other 40% can only be reached by flossing, which removes plaque and debris. But it’s important to note that flossing only provides benefits if done correctly. Incorrect flossing techniques, such as not using a C-shape or not flossing far enough under the gums, can do more harm than good by leaving plaque behind. And those who floss too hard can damage their gums, leading to other oral health problems. So be sure to learn the proper way to floss!

3. Flossing Should Be Followed By Rinsing

Be sure to floss at some point during the day to remove debris and bacteria from your teeth. It’s recommended that patients floss before brushing their teeth so they can remove debris loosened during flossing, but the more critical issue is to be sure you’re flossing at some point during the day. If you floss your teeth after you brush or at another point throughout the day, rinse with water to flush your mouth from bacteria and debris that the floss loosened.

4. Keeping A Toothbrush At Work Is A Good Idea

You never know when you’ll need to brush your teeth! Whether you have a lunch that results in food particles stuck in your teeth or realise you need to do a better job of brushing your teeth overall, it’s always good to keep an extra toothbrush around for emergencies. Be sure to keep it in a secure location and with a cover on it to prevent dust and particles from accumulating on your toothbrush.

5. Tongue Care Is Important

The tongue is home to millions of bacteria that can lead to bad breath and plaque buildup in the mouth. Be sure to brush your tongue gently when you brush your teeth to remove bacteria. You can also add a mouthwash to your daily routine to freshen your breath and kill bacteria. Look for a mouthwash with fluoride to strengthen your teeth and protect your mouth.

Do you want to keep your mouth healthy and sparkling clean? Follow these tips to up your dental hygiene game! Don’t hesitate to ask your hygienist for help if you’re unsure about anything. They’re more than happy to answer any questions you may have – no matter how silly they may seem! We want to ensure you have the best hygiene routine possible, so let us help you!